Photobucket

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mother doesn't always know Best

"Because I felt like it." This is the answer I got from my own mother when I asked why she had thrown out my bag of recycling into the trash. I couldn't help but yell at her for it. I actually went so far as to implicate she was destroying the planet, because she felt like it. I guess it just goes to show adults don't always have things figured out. 

The saddest part is, it's true. She is helping to destroy our planet with her lifestyle choices. Even for the longest time I was using my ignorance as to what could be recycled for my not recycling. Along with using ignorance or inexperience as an excuse, people take on this "just me" mentality. Or, that it's only once, one piece of litter, one thing not recycled. What about the lasting and bigger picture? That piece of plastic is going to sit in a landfill for a bajillion years now. (okay, maybe not THAT long.) Leach into the ground water... etc etc.

I just don't get it. How can people be so blind? How could I be so blind. 
Open your eyes! We're in this sinking ship together, some of us pumping the water out, but the most of us pumping it right back in again. 

Do something, anything. I know that is my goal for the rest of my life. To do something. To never let inconvenience or excuses get in my way. To finish off... some wisdom from Fight Club.

THE THIRD RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is NO EXCUSES.
THE FOURTH RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is NO LIES.


x. Maria Van Gogh

No comments: