I am not a writer," I replied firmly.
The same matter of fact tone echoed back at me through the telephone, "You write words on a page: stories, poems, essays. That makes you a writer."
"No. It doesn't..." I trailed off, unsure of my own response. In all honestly, I was a writer. I just was afraid to admit it for the same reasons I wouldn't apply a label to my eating habits. It’s the perception people get. 'Oh, you're a writer,' they say as if that makes it reasonable to expect something from you; just the same if you were to say you were from England and it meant you drank tea. So, I attempted to elude perception by making my own label for myself. Ironically, my aversion was a label in itself but it was my own. It was how I wanted people to see it so it made it alright. "I'm an artist,” I said, "I've always been more of an artist than a writer, really. The paper is my canvas, and the words are just my paint. Diction, tone, metaphor and imagery are just my brushes."
I could end this off with that, but another matter has come to my attention which I feel the need to vent about. I pop up msn. com, since that's my homepage[god knows why I haven't been compelled to change it yet.] and while on my way to my Favorites , my eyes flitted across the headline, "Vegan couple gets life over baby's death." What on Earth? Compelled by curiosity I clicked it and read said article. [link] All I can say is, I dislike the media almost as much as those people who starved their poor baby! They failed to include any information on the fact that there is baby soy formula available [apparently unknown to the parents.] and that on every carton of soy milk there is in fact a warning saying that it's not to be used as infant formula. The issue isn't that the parents were vegan as that they were ill-educated and couldn't take care of their baby properly and refused to seek medical attention. The same thing would have happened with cow's milk. Hmm. Just one more reason for people to be ignorant about vegans and vegetarians. Oh well, that's the way stereotypes go. One person does something stupid and it applies to the whole demographic.

No comments:
Post a Comment