I fall into the trap of societal beauty. I start to scapegoat my lack of happiness on the fact I don't have a flat stomach, or the thickness of my legs, or the size of my chest. Because they tell me people will love me more if I weigh ten pounds less.
Wrong.
Those are the last people I need in my life. I don't need conditional love on my body image. Why then do I always seem to fall into this trap? I guess I really have been that brainwashed to think that fitting into society's view of beauty will have success and happiness flopping into my lap like fish jumping into a boat. But like fish jumping arbitrarily into a boat, it simply doesn't happen. Accomplishment is not had through aesthetic changes in oneself. Say, I dye my hair blue. That means? I dyed my hair blue. Nothing else. I didn't drastically reduce a bad habit or contribute to society. Do people do it because it's easy or because it's just change and change of any sort feels like something? I can't answer that.
All I know is that people need to accept themselves and their bodies and learn to love them. Break this cycle of unproductive nitpicking over imperfections and ignoring one's real problems. A nice body may get the men looking your way, but are they the right ones, and do you have the ability to keep them on the hook? Or was it really your people skills that needed toning, and not your under arm flab?
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment